More Recipes with Hot Dogs
created by Lindsay Jones
see more at foodflirt.com
This fruity onion and tomato topping turns grilled FARMER JOHN® Jumbo Beef Franks into a super sandwich that’s one part grilled cheese, one part All-American dog and three parts unforgettable!
Cook Time: 15-18 min
Servings: 8 Servings
- 1 cup white onions, diced
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced (I like to use cheery tomatoes)
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup apricot jam (pineapple or mango jam would also be good)
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard (or plain yellow mustard)
- 1 package FARMER JOHN® Jumbo Beef Franks (16 oz.)
- 8 oz. block pepper jack cheese, sliced thin into about 20 rectangles
- 8 oz. block cheddar cheese, sliced thin into about 20 rectangles
- 8 large, whole wheat hot dog buns (any large buns or rolls will do in a pinch)
In large sauté pan over medium heat place onions, tomatoes, sugar, and chili flakes. Use a spatula to stir until cooked-down, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
In small bowl, whisk together apricot jam and mustard until combined. Set aside.
Preheat grill to medium heat. Add dogs to oiled grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side and 2 minutes on the other. Remove from grill and slice each dog into about 8 rounds. Set aside.
Cover the bottom half of each bun with slices pepper jack cheese in a single layer. Place 6-8 hot dog rounds on top of cheese. Place onion-tomato mixture (about 1/4 cup) atop hot dog rounds, then finish with a single layer of cheddar cheese and close the bun (as much as possible).
Place filled buns on grill over medium-low heat and grill, covered for 3-5 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Carefully watch the heat level to avoid burning the bottom of the bun. Serve hot and let yourself feel like a kid again!