- For the Cornbread:
- 1 tbsp vegetable shortening for skillet
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp sugar, optional
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Melted butter for brushing the top
- For the Sandwich:
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp chow chow
- 1 4″ square of cornbread, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup white cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 lb Farmer John® honey baked ham, shaved thin
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapenos
Make the Cornbread:
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Put the oil or shortening in a 10-inch iron skillet and place in the oven to preheat while making the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and if using sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and butter.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are moistened. The batter will be like a thick pancake batter.
- Carefully, with heavy oven mitts, remove skillet from oven and turn to coat the bottom and sides with oil.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and return it to the oven.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until browned. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Assemble the Sandwich:
- Set the oven to broil. Meanwhile, mix together mayo and chow chow in a small bowl; set aside.
- Place the cornbread slices, interior side facing up, onto a nonstick baking sheet. Slather the chow chow mayo equally between the two slices and top both slices with the white cheddar.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil until the cheese is bubbling and melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the ham to the bottom piece of cornbread and top with pickled jalapenos.
- Top with the remaining slice of cornbread and slice in half. Serve immediately.