More Recipes with Breakfast Sausage
|Pork Sausage Pancakes with Maple Bacon Syrup|
|Mesa Verde Breakfast Burrito|
created by Lindsay Jones
see more at foodflirt.com
Grilled over coals or indoors, this meat-lovers pizza pairs a deeply flavored sauce with hearty helpings of not-just-for-breakfast FARMER JOHN® Original Sausage Links and FARMER JOHN® Hot Louisiana Brand Smoked Sausage.
PREP Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 55-64 min
Servings: 2 Medium Pizzas
- 2 packages raw, pre-made pizza dough (you can use a dough mix) Flour, for rolling out dough
- Olive oil, for brushing on dough
- 1 package FARMER JOHN® Original Sausage Links 8 oz.
- 1 package FARMER JOHN® Hot Louisiana Brand Smoked Sausage 16 oz.
- 3-4 cups grated pepper jack cheese, (add more or less per your preference)
- ½ large red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, cubed (optional)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup barbecue sauce (use your favorite)
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbs. honey
- 1 tbs. thyme, fresh if you have it
- 1 tsp. fennel, ground (optional, but delicious)
- ½ tsp. salt
Bring dough to almost room temperature - about 20 minutes. This will make it easier to shape.
For Sauce: In large sauce pan over medium heat, combine diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, jalapeños, garlic, honey, thyme, fennel, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
Place FARMER JOHN® Original Sausage Links in large frying pan over medium heat. Use a hard plastic spatula to break sausage into crumbles and cook until golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and place on paper towel-lined plate to let cool.
Slice FARMER JOHN® Hot Louisiana Brand Smoked Sausage into rounds and pan sear over medium heat in large frying pan for 4-5 minutes or until edges brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Spread 1 tablespoon flour over cutting board and sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour on dough. Stretch and pat dough into a circle (mine was about 12-inches wide but this will depend on the size of your dough ball) with edges about ¾ inch thick. Brush with olive oil and place on grill for 4-5 minutes, or until dough begins to form bubbles. Flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes before removing from heat to add toppings. Repeat with second ball of dough.
Spread sauce over each pizza in an even layer. Add more or less depending on how saucy you like it! Sprinkle with cheese, then top with red onion, basil, sausage crumbles, and sliced sausage. Place pizza on grill over medium-low heat for 4-6 minutes or just until cheese melts. Watch the heat levels to avoid burning the bottom of the pizza! If using avocado, add 1 minute before removing pizza from grill. Serve slices hot with a cold beer and celebrate summer!