Switch up your traditional meatball recipe with extra lean ground pork for a flavor packed dish with less fat than several other ground meat options.
- ½ cup soft, fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound Farmer John® ground pork
- 1 (1-pound) box penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 (24-ounce) jar tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Garnish: freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In large bowl, combine breadcrumbs and milk. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in egg, and next 5 ingredients.
- Gently stir in pork with hands, just until blended.
- Shape into 16 (2-inch) meatballs and place on a lightly greased, aluminum foil-lined pan.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F when tested with a thermometer.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook squash and zucchini 5 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Stir in pasta sauce and tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Stir in pasta and meatballs. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
If you ever cook pasta in advance and set it aside, drizzle a little olive oil on it and stir to prevent from it from sticking together.