- 12 Farmer John Original Sausage Links
- 1 ½ cup flour plus two tablespoons for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 wooden skewers
- 2 quarts peanut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- In a large bowl, mix 1 ½ cups flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt
- Whisk buttermilk, egg and vegetable oil in a large measuring cup; pour into dry ingredients. Stir until just incorporated. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes while you cook the sausage links
- Cook sausages in a skillet over medium-high heat, turning often, until fully cooked through and all sides are browned. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and pat dry
- When sausages are cool enough to handle, place remaining 2 tablespoons flour in a shallow dish. Skewer each sausage lengthwise with a wooden stick, coat in flour, and tap to remove excess.
- Heat a few inches of peanut oil to 375 °F in a heavy-bottomed pot fitted with an oil thermometer.
- Transfer batter to a tall glass. Dip skewered sausages in batter, coating the sausage fully but not the stick. Carefully place into the hot oil and fry 3 at a time until golden, about 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on a wire rack.
Dust with powdered sugar and serve with warm maple syrup