More Recipes with Lunch Meat
|Turkey Bacon Summer Sandwich|
created by Lindsay Jones
see more at foodflirt.com
For the young urbanites of Silver Lake, the holidays are a great time for kickbacks with friends, as much as they are for family. Try this modernist take on the classic ham sandwich – on hearty wheat bread with apple onion cranberry chutney and brie – next time you're hosting an eclectic gathering of hipsters and the creative class.
Cook Time: 31-37 min
Servings: 6 Servings
- 2 medium cooking apples, chopped (granny smith or pink lady work well)
- 1 14-ounce can whole cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tbs. cinnamon
- 1 tbs. orange zest (or 1 teaspoon orange extract)
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger root (1/2 teaspoon ground ginger can be substituted)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- FARMER JOHN® Sliced Ham 4x6 16 oz.
- 1 large loaf hearty wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 6 oz. brie cheese, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 green apple, sliced into thin wedges
To make relish, put all ingredients into a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until relish thickens. Uncover and cook for five minutes more, to reduce any remaining liquid. Remove from heat and put in small bowl to cool.
Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add slices of ham and cook 1-2 minutes per side or until ham begins to turn golden and char slightly. Remove from heat and place on paper-towel lined plate.
To build sandwiches spread a thick layer of relish on half the slices of bread. Divide ham evenly among slices, layering it on top of relish. Place 2 ounces of brie on top then the sliced apples and top with a second slice of bread.
Grin and celebrate the holidays.