- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups water or stock
- Optional (but delicious) additions: 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, 1-2 bay leaves, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 whole star anise, and 3 dried arbol chilies.
Additional bowl ingredients:
- 1 Pork Butt Roast
- 12 strips FARMER JOHN® Thick-Cut Bacon, cooked
- 6 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, diced and roasted
- 1 ½ cups hummus
- 3 avocados, quartered
- 1 cup roasted chickpeas
- Chili powder
- Pat dry the pork shoulder. Stir salt and spices in a mixing bowl. Rub spices into the surface and crevices of the shoulder.
- Pour vinegar, water/stock, and any aromatics into the bottom of a slow cooker. Carefully place shoulderinto slow cooker..
- cook 6-8 hours until internal temperature reaches 165 °F. (If you prefer to use a dutch oven, set oven to 225 °F and cook for 7-8 hours until temperature reaches 165 °F. )
- Once cooked, move meat to a tray and shred, moisten with extra cooking liquid and keep warm.
- In a bowl, layer ½ cup shredded pork, ½ quinoa, ¼ cup shredded carrot, ¼ cup shredded cabbage, ⅓ cup roasted sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons hummus, ¼ sliced avocado, 1 tablespoon roasted chickpeas and 1 strip bacon.
- Sprinkle with chili powder and enjoy!