By Michelle, @thewholesmiths
- 1 FARMER JOHN® Bone-In Pork Shoulder Butt Roast
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 slices FARMER JOHN® All-Natural Bacon
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 ½ cups pulled pork from above
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 – 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- Optional Toppings: Fried egg, avocado, salsa, chopped green onions, chopped cilantro
- In your slow cooker, add the bacon pieces and sauté the bacon using the sauté feature until it is lightly crisped. If your device does not have a sauté feature, just add the bacon into the pot/cooker.
- Rub pork shoulder with 3 tablespoons of salt and place into your slow cooker along with the minced garlic and 5 cups of water.
- Cook on high for 6-7 hours.
- Once the meat is cooked, remove from the pot/cooker and use a fork to shred it into pieces. Set aside the bacon slices.
- Add the potatoes to a large stockpot and fill the pot up with enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes for 7-10 minutes until they have softened/parboiled. Drain the potatoes and slice into cubes. Set aside.
- Add the bacon slices to a large skillet (preferably cast iron) and cook for 6-7 minutes over medium heat until the bacon has crisped up. Pour the majority of the bacon grease into a glass container (reserve for later) leaving about 1/2 tablespoon in the skillet.
- Add the pulled pork to the same skillet and cook until the pork is warmed through and the edges have lightly crisped. Removed the pork from the skillet and set aside.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of the reserved bacon grease to the skillet and add the chopped pepper, onion and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pan and sauté until the vegetables have softened and lightly browned. Once cooked, remove vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon grease back into the pan and add the cubed potatoes along with 1 teaspoon of the salt, smoked paprika and the chipotle powder. Let the potatoes sit in the skillet for about 1 minute prior to stirring to create a crispy outside. Continue to cook] until they are cooked through and the edges have crisped.
- Add the bacon, pork and vegetables back into the skillet along with the diced green chilies and stir to combine.
- Optional: top with a fried egg, sliced avocado, salsa, green onions or chopped cilantro.